[chrony-users] Configuring chrony on SAMBA4 AD server
Varga Péter
2018-01-05 15:49:03 UTC
Hello

Our company uses a SAMBA4 server for Active Directory authentication for
Windows 10 hosts. Unfortunately, we're struggling with time
synchronization, the hosts are unable to synchronize the time properly.
We've found this page
<http://blog.mycroes.nl/2013/03/setting-up-ntp-signing-ntpsignd-with.html>,
and our guess is that we need to insert these  two lines into the
/etc/chrony.conf:

/ntpsigndsocket /usr/local/samba/var/lib/ntp_signd restrict default mssntp/

But the chrony service stopped working completely after that.

Our other question is that according to this site
<https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Time_Synchronisation> at the
requirements topic, do we need ntpd enabled with signed ntp support?
What is this exactly? Is this essential for us to make chrony working?

Thanks in advance,

Peter Varga
--
*Varga Péter*
junior system administrator
***@astron.hu
Varga Péter
***@astron.hu
Vincent Blut
2018-01-05 16:29:27 UTC
Post by Varga Péter
I forgot to mention that our SAMBA4 server is running on Ubuntu 16.04
and the chrony version is 2.1.1.
That feature has been added in chrony 3.0.

Cheers,
Vincent
Varga Péter