[chrony-users] Ver 3.2 support of no RTC battery
Robert Moskowitz
2018-08-01 19:11:18 UTC
Back some time ago, I was dealing with an old version of chronyd in
Centos (my notes say 2.1.1) and working with armv7 boards lacking RTC
battery.  The hack was to add:

rtcdevice /dev/doesnotexist

There was somewhere a message (that I cannot find) that indicated this
would be better supported in 3.2 (which is what I have in my current
Centos image).

If so, how do I tell chrony, no battery?

Another part of this was to add to /etc/sysconfig/chronyd

OPTIONS=" -s"

to take the timestamp from the driftfile.  Is this still needed?

thanks
with "help" in the subject.
Trouble? Email ***@chrony.tuxfamily.org.
Vincent Blut
2018-08-01 20:35:39 UTC
Hi Robert,
Post by Robert Moskowitz
Back some time ago, I was dealing with an old version of chronyd in
Centos (my notes say 2.1.1) and working with armv7 boards lacking RTC
rtcdevice /dev/doesnotexist
There was somewhere a message (that I cannot find) that indicated this
would be better supported in 3.2 (which is what I have in my current
Centos image).
If so, how do I tell chrony, no battery?
IIRC since chrony 3.1, you don’t have to set the rtcdevice directive to
a non-existent character device file.
Post by Robert Moskowitz
Another part of this was to add to /etc/sysconfig/chronyd
OPTIONS=" -s"
to take the timestamp from the driftfile.  Is this still needed?
Yup. The “-s” option is all you need now to deal with systems with no
RTC or without any battery.
Post by Robert Moskowitz
thanks
Cheers,
Vincent
Vincent Blut
2018-08-01 22:46:21 UTC
[ Resending. This time cc’ing Robert! ]

Hi Robert,
Post by Robert Moskowitz
Another part of this was to add to /etc/sysconfig/chronyd
OPTIONS=" -s"
to take the timestamp from the driftfile.  Is this still needed?
Yup. The “-s” option is all you need now to deal with systems with no
RTC or without any battery.
Post by Robert Moskowitz
thanks
Cheers,