[chrony-users] vanilla configure and make generates "DEVELOPMENT" version
w***@comcast.net
2021-05-16 04:11:03 UTC
After a ".configure" and "make" after fetching
https://download.tuxfamily.org/chrony/chrony-4.1.tar.gz, "chronyd -v"
reports:

chronyd (chrony) version DEVELOPMENT (+CMDMON +NTP +REFCLOCK +RTC +PRIVDROP
-SCFILTER -SIGND +ASYNCDNS -NTS -SECHASH +IPV6 -DEBUG)

What did I do wrong or omit?

Thanks,

-wis
Miroslav Lichvar
2021-05-17 07:15:56 UTC
Post by w***@comcast.net
After a ".configure" and "make" after fetching
https://download.tuxfamily.org/chrony/chrony-4.1.tar.gz, "chronyd -v"
chronyd (chrony) version DEVELOPMENT (+CMDMON +NTP +REFCLOCK +RTC +PRIVDROP
-SCFILTER -SIGND +ASYNCDNS -NTS -SECHASH +IPV6 -DEBUG)
After running "make", did you install it with "make install" or
copy manually to a directory like /usr/local/sbin?

Maybe you have two versions installed in different paths. Try
"which chronyd" command to see what is actually executed.
--
Miroslav Lichvar
with "help" in the subject.
Trouble? Email ***@chrony.tuxfamily.org.
Holger Hoffstätte
2021-05-17 10:39:40 UTC
Post by Miroslav Lichvar
Post by w***@comcast.net
After a ".configure" and "make" after fetching
https://download.tuxfamily.org/chrony/chrony-4.1.tar.gz, "chronyd -v"
chronyd (chrony) version DEVELOPMENT (+CMDMON +NTP +REFCLOCK +RTC +PRIVDROP
-SCFILTER -SIGND +ASYNCDNS -NTS -SECHASH +IPV6 -DEBUG)
After running "make", did you install it with "make install" or
copy manually to a directory like /usr/local/sbin?
Maybe you have two versions installed in different paths. Try
"which chronyd" command to see what is actually executed.
Seems to work fine:

$wget https://download.tuxfamily.org/chrony/chrony-4.1.tar.gz
..
$tar xf chrony-4.1.tar.gz
$cd chrony-4.1
$./configure && make -j8
$./chronyd -v
chronyd (chrony) version 4.1 (+CMDMON +NTP +REFCLOCK +RTC +PRIVDROP -SCFILTER -SIGND +ASYNCDNS +NTS +SECHASH +IPV6 -DEBUG)

-h
w***@comcast.net
2021-05-19 04:32:32 UTC
OK, following your steps, I now get:

$ chronyd -v
chronyd (chrony) version 4.1 (+CMDMON +NTP +REFCLOCK +RTC +PRIVDROP -SCFILTER -SIGND +ASYNCDNS -NTS -SECHASH +IPV6 -DEBUG)

I don't know what I did to get the DEVELOPMENT version.

Now, I need to find out why it doesn't see the PPS, which was working
with the previous version (ppstest and ntpshmmon show PPS is good).

I see /etc/chrony/chrony.conf is unchanged from previous. I'll do
some more looking tomorrow, but if anyone has anything I might
check for, I'd appreciate any pointers.

Thanks, Miroslav and Holger.

-wis