[chrony-users] How to set time manually without adjusting clock drift?
Manuel Wagesreither
2018-09-06 16:31:11 UTC
Hello all,

I would like to set the reference time chrony delivers to its clients manually. Using `chronyc settime` has the side-effect of recalculating the clock drift. This is entirely unwanted, as, in my case, it does not imply the clock having drifted.

Using `chronyc settime` the overcompensation chrony does quickly builds up, generating an enormous error on my clients.

```
***@RISEKonn:~# date -u; chronyc tracking
Thu Sep 6 17:01:15 UTC 2018
Reference ID : 7F7F0101 ()
Stratum : 12
Ref time (UTC) : Thu Sep 06 17:00:40 2018
System time : 33.500217438 seconds fast of NTP time
Last offset : +11.211560249 seconds
RMS offset : 11.211560249 seconds
Frequency : 500000.000 ppm fast
Residual freq : +0.000 ppm
Skew : 0.000 ppm
Root delay : 0.000000000 seconds
Root dispersion : 0.000000000 seconds
Update interval : 11.2 seconds
Leap status : Normal
```

Thank you!
Best regards,
Manuel
with "help" in the subject.
Trouble? Email ***@chrony.tuxfamily.org.
Miroslav Lichvar
2018-09-10 07:42:22 UTC
Post by Manuel Wagesreither
I would like to set the reference time chrony delivers to its clients manually. Using `chronyc settime` has the side-effect of recalculating the clock drift. This is entirely unwanted, as, in my case, it does not imply the clock having drifted.
This is an interesting use case.

I think you can prevent chronyd from adjusting the frequency by
deleting the manual samples, so it doesn't have more than one and
cannot estimate the frequency. I.e. each "settime" command should be
followed by "manual delete 0".
--
Miroslav Lichvar
Manuel Wagesreither
2018-10-02 09:41:06 UTC
Hello everyone,
Post by Miroslav Lichvar
Post by Manuel Wagesreither
I would like to set the reference time chrony delivers to its clients manually. Using `chronyc settime` has the side-effect of recalculating the clock drift. This is entirely unwanted, as, in my case, it does not imply the clock having drifted.
This is an interesting use case.
I think you can prevent chronyd from adjusting the frequency by
deleting the manual samples, so it doesn't have more than one and
cannot estimate the frequency. I.e. each "settime" command should be
followed by "manual delete 0".
Thank you very much, this did the trick!